3. Aeroworks 30cc GT Trainer ARF QB Build Log (Updated 8/7/2016 – Maiden)

7/15/2016 – Love Aeroworks planes.  I’ve had a few over the years and this one caught my eye several years ago when it was introduced.  Timing was right this past fourth of July weekend and Aeroworks had a sale so I ordered one.

I’m not going to do a step-by-step build log as I just don’t have the time.  I will try to point out areas of the build that I feel can be of some value as a tip.

I’ve started the build and have the tail assembled.  Pretty straight forward using epoxy which was a bit disappointing considering this is a QB (Quick Build) ARF.  Would have appreciated some additional engineering with a bolt on tail but it is what it is.

IMG_0333

Waiting on the DLE 30 and Hitec HS-5645MG Digital servos from Tower Hobbies which are in a UPS truck right now for delivery on Monday.

7/19/2016 – Engine and servos arrived as scheduled. Finished installing all of the control surfaces on the fuse and wings and will install the engine and throttle servo next.

imageimageimage

7/20/2016The Elevator Servo Installation mentions using a pre-installed string to pull the elevator servo extension through the fuse but my kit did not have this string. So I had to improvise and add my own string.

I ran a flexible plastic rod from the front of the fuse with the aid of a wooden dowel to help guide the rod through the hangers and out the servo hole in the rear of the fuse.  Then I attached string to the rod and pulled it through the fuse and out the servo hole.  I then tied and taped the string to the servo lead and pulled it back through the fuse again using the dowel as an aid to guide the lead through the hangers.

The trick in pulling the lead through the fuse was nudging it through the stringer as it can get caught on an edge and that’s when the dowel came in handy.

IMG_0999

7/21/2016When mounting the engine using the DLE provided standoffs, the Aeroworks manual says to use a 3/16″ drill bit to drill the mounting holes in the firewall, but they are just a bit too tight.  A 13/64″ bit is perfect.

The addendum corrects the distance from the firewall to the front of the engine prop hub from  6 5/16″ to 6 1/2″. This change necessitated the use of two washers between each of the standoffs and the firewall as well as using slightly longer bolts to make sure there is enough thread grip in the standoff.

Flip the fuse on its top and use the access hatch to get to the back of the firewall.  Use a telescopic magnetic tool or long pliers / vise grips to insert the standoff bolt’s through the firewall. Using a long reach 5/32″ hex wrench with a ball end go through the cockpit and insert the wrench into the bolts using the hatch to visually guide you then tighten the bolts to the standoff using some thread locker.

imageimageimage

7/23/2016Installed the nose gear and according to the instructions the clevis for the nose gear pushrod is supposed to be soldered on but it my kit it’s not.  So I’ll need to take care of that little task.

image

The supplied nose gear mount  4-40 bolts were a little too short for me so I replaced them with 4-40 x 3/4.  Also, the supplied steering arm Philips head set screw is recommended to be replaced in the addendum with a 6-32 bolt, which is not supplied, but it’s way too big so I used a 4-40 x 3/8 hex head bolt which seems to work.  I’ll know better when it’s time to cinch it up tight.

Update -The 4-40 bolt ended up being to small and stripped out when tightened, so I did go with the 6-32 which worked perfectly.  But it takes a lot of torque to cut new larger diameter threads in the brass insert.

image

7/24/2016Assembled and installed the fuel tank.  There was an issue with the tank opening inside the fuselage which required enlarging to get the tank to fit through it.  Other than that no other issues.

imageimage

8/7/2016 – Well I’ve managed to loose a lot of the final build pictures.  But today I did fly the maiden and everything went well.  I used a 18 x 6 prop which I have changed out to an 18 x 8 for the next flights to see if I notice a change in performance.

I did need to add 2 ounces of weight to the tail as my setup was a bit more nose heavy than I like.  Inverted flight only takes a slight bit of down pressure.

This is a good landing plane.  Slows down nicely and is easy to control.  I’ll have more flight updates in the coming weeks.

 

Note the blue Sullivan Ball Connector I used for the throttle connection.  Makes adjusting and maintenance a breeze.  Simply slide the locking sleeve to install and remove.

The Aeroworks manual suggests using plastic ties laced between the engine standoffs to support the choke rod but the ties interfered with my throttle setup so I used my tried and true aluminum strap with rubber grommet setup instead.

image

I used the  Ultra IBEC Ignition Battery Eliminator Circuit configured for 6.6v with a 2,100 mAh Life battery as I have on several planes over the years and find this setup to be 100% reliable.

IBECI made up the supplied trays which worked out very well to hold the ignition and battery.

image

image

Cowl cutout for the muffler required small modifications from the instructions.  DLE is using a redesigned muffler for the 30cc now which is larger (and quieter) and offset to the rear.

image

Added a pilot figure because I had one laying around and this plane just looked like it needed one.  Also used some dashboard stickers to finish it off.

imageimageimage

IMG_0384

IMG_0385

Spinner is a Miracle 3″ aluminum and is a good price and quality.

IMG_0386

 

 

 

 

 

Advertisements